Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things. ~Pierce Harris

Welcome to the Grassy Valley Antiques "official" blog. We are an antique and vintage marketplace located in the heart of Fountain City, TN. Our store is comprised of vendors who scour the globe for treasures, modern day pirates without the peg legs and scurvy. They hear the echoes of the past whispered by items that are vital and useful and not ready to be relegated to spend eternity in some dusty attic. You can read about some of our latest discoveries here, or you can come see for yourself. Who knows you may leave with a treasure of your own....

Monday, November 21, 2011

Coffee Anyone?


I love coffee.  The aroma, the taste, the warmth of the cup in my hand, there are few things more satisfying to me than a good cup of joe.

 I loved coffee well before I was ever allowed to drink it.  When I was around seven or eight, I held a precarious spot within my family. I was stuck in the middle with a slew of older cousins already in high school and too cool to play Bedbugs or Operation, and several toddlers that I wouldn't dare let touch my Barbies. During the holidays, after the meal was finished and the men had disappeared to wherever it is that men retreat to while dishes are being put away, I would hang around the kitchen.  I'd breath in the rich aroma of  the coffee brewing and watch as my mother and aunts gathered around the table cups in hand.  Laughter and conversation seemed to accompany the steaming cups, and I so wanted to be a part of their community.  I learned that if I was still enough and didn't fidget in my seat, they would soon forget I was there.  I would drink in their presence fascinated as they clinked and stirred, lipstick-ringed mugs cupped in each hand.  I overheard a lot in that kitchen, probably much more than I should have! 

In college, I would spend hours nestled in the corners of local coffee shops. Whether reading between classes, or chatting with friends, coffee added flavor to the very ordinary activities of my life. I still find that sharing coffee is synonymous with family and friendship for me.  My favorite parts of holiday gatherings still revolve around the cup.  

If you are a coffee lover or have a loved one who is, you'll love all of the vintage percolators, coffee canisters, and  other finds lying around the shop. 

Oh, and if you happen to come in while I'm working, I'll be happy to share a cup with you. The coffee is always flowing-and complimentary- at Grassy Valley!



No comments:

Post a Comment