Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things. ~Pierce Harris

Welcome to the Grassy Valley Antiques "official" blog. We are an antique and vintage marketplace located in the heart of Fountain City, TN. Our store is comprised of vendors who scour the globe for treasures, modern day pirates without the peg legs and scurvy. They hear the echoes of the past whispered by items that are vital and useful and not ready to be relegated to spend eternity in some dusty attic. You can read about some of our latest discoveries here, or you can come see for yourself. Who knows you may leave with a treasure of your own....

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Beauty and Aesthetics.....a rant

I am a sucker for beauty. I love to fill my home with pretty trinkets and things that make me stop and smile when I pass by them on the way to fold laundry or cook dinner. I am also a careful shopper, choosing items not only for their usefulness but for their aesthetic qualities as well. Whether buying dish soap or a new coffee mug, I'm a sucker for a pretty package. And, I have a feeling I'm not the only one. The marketers of these products are smart, savvy little fellows who are well aware that most of us are slaves to our aesthetic drives. That's probably why Kitchen Aid mixers come in every color under the sun ( I personally dream of a peacock blue version...sigh) and pink Hello Kitty microwaves exist. Even the most utilitarian of items are designed to be appealing to our senses. I experienced this when I was forced to choose a new faucet for our kitchen sink. Although, I had never paid that much attention to our old faucet when it was my turn to find a replacement I stood for what seemed like hours in Lowe's waiting to hear the siren song of the perfect one. Finally, I picked a curvy model, that I would describe as "whimsical". It's beautiful to me, and to be honest I have spent much more time at the kitchen sink just to admire it.

I believe this quest for beauty stems from our creation when God infused a unique allure into each and every one of us. All different, all captivating. It just makes sense to me that our creations follow the same pattern. I love to discover hidden beauty in objects whether natural or man made and thank the Supreme Artist for that special insight.  Of course being immersed in the world of antiques, I am constantly surrounded by items that take my breath away. Some posses humble beauty, they show their wear and I can tell they have been loved and used for decades, even centuries. Others reflect a past aesthetic such an art deco shot glass that seems transported from the world of Fitzgerald with its glimmer and glitz.

I could probably post a picture of every items in the shop since each would sing to someone. However, that's not how it works. Beauty is best when it is discovered by the beholder. When they can own the moment of laying eyes on something they can not live without.  So, I invite you to come on your own quest. Browse our shelves, look closely and listen for your own sweet song.

1 comment:

  1. The love of antiques!! It's sad that items today aren't made of the same quality or beauty! I just dont see an individual going into an antique shop 50 years from now and getting excited over that great Sauder bookshelf!! I have an addiction, I cant pass an antique shop or even a flea market without stopping. The two hour search uncovers a great piece of glass... woo hoo! Now i have to go home and decide what I'm getting rid of. I have to limit myself or I will get the reputation of a packrat. It is the beauty in items or the unusual. I have a few things that are not pretty (i cant call them ugly) but i have never seen anything like them!! Unique and original, much like myself...

    ReplyDelete