Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things. ~Pierce Harris

Welcome to the Grassy Valley Antiques "official" blog. We are an antique and vintage marketplace located in the heart of Fountain City, TN. Our store is comprised of vendors who scour the globe for treasures, modern day pirates without the peg legs and scurvy. They hear the echoes of the past whispered by items that are vital and useful and not ready to be relegated to spend eternity in some dusty attic. You can read about some of our latest discoveries here, or you can come see for yourself. Who knows you may leave with a treasure of your own....

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Oh Snap


I recently came across a photograph of my mother and her siblings smiling brightly atop a mountain summit with my beautiful grandmother.  I was surprised by my vivacious aunt's shy smile and surprised that my vertically challenged mom was the tallest of the bunch!  I felt a connection to my family that would have been missed if not for a simple snap fifty years ago.

My husband I have been collectors/dealers of antique and vintage cameras for years.  We love the weight and substance of a Graflex press camera. Like this one available at Grassy Valley.  I feel like I should have a nickname like "Scoops" or 'Nosy Malone" when holding this piece of history.

There are several old photographs and portraits scattered about the shop. The faces are nameless to me, but they are becoming friends and I  enjoy smiling at them daily as I go about my work.  I've included some of my favorites....

I love this lady's serene smile and pageboy haircut.  She could have been a city librarian going home alone each evening to a warm fire and a cup of tea by the hearth, or a governess for a wealthy family with neatly dressed children lined up behind her like ducklings.  I guess we'll never know...
This cute little cowgirl is ready for the rodeo!  I wonder if she's all decked out for Halloween or a school carnival.  Either way the Dale Evans wanna-be is just darling!


I hope that this will inspire you to make a trip to the attic or dig through some bureau drawers to uncover your family history. It's amazing the life that can be discovered in a 2x3 srectangle.

No comments:

Post a Comment